The Orangery faces south and is an Athenian style building with a temple structure at both ends with a Doric colonnade. It is built of brick; the front of the south-east elevation and the return elevations being clad in limestone ashlar. The rear elevation is bare brick.
The building has pitched glazed roofs and the temple facades have a pair of niches and pilasters on either side of a central doorway with a fluted frieze above. The building comprises a single open area; nine equal bays of south facing window with a wider pedimented pavilion at each end. The north, east and west walls are blank.
A fully glazed pitched roof spans north-south throughout the main area and east-west, plus metal framed windows. Both of these features are thought to date from the 19thC. Brickwork returns at a high level to separate the wings from the central zone. The floor is of sandstone with an integrated grille.
A park boundary was added in the early 18th century and still survives in places. The 27 acre park was landscaped by Capability Brown in 1756 with new walks, a haha and a pleasure ground. All the formal gardens were removed in 1789. By 1815 ‘The Long Walk’, a sloping pathway, was created – leading from the north garden to the Orangery and lined with Irish Yew trees brought in 1810 by the second Earl Talbot, Catherine’s grandson. This provides a wonderful access path to the Orangery.